- This event has passed.
Embroidery Expanded with Visiting Artist Jennifer Moss
August 20 @ 10:00 am - August 21 @ 5:00 pm
Date: Saturday, August 20 & Sunday, August 21
Time: 10am-5pm each day
Description: Students in this two-day workshop will learn or review basic embroidery stitches with a focus on the path of the needle and thread through the surface. We will discuss different traditional stitching methods, such as shasiko and blackwork, as well as additional techniques such as applique, couching, and laid filling. On day two we will explore the ways these techniques can be expanded to working with non-traditional surfaces, such as paper, wood, metal, plastic, or ceramic, and with non-traditional stitching materials, such as wire, rope, or natural materials. Students will leave with a set of samples and there will be time to discuss and plan for personal projects.
Tuition: $225 + $15 materials fee
Materials: Students should bring the following
- 1/2 yard of solid color cotton fabric such as broadcloth or other quilting cotton for the sampler
- 6 strand embroidery thread in a range of colors that you wish to work with (4-6 skeins suggested)
- Embroidery hoop 6″ to 12″
- #14 Aida cloth for black work samples (instructor will provide but you may wish to bring more)
- Any embroidery needles that you like to work with (instructor will provide needles as well)
Other optional materials you may want to bring:
- Found objects to stitch on, including thin sheets of metals (less than 1/8″ thick), paper/paper objects, leather hard but unfired ceramics, polymer clay, wood panels or other thin wooden objects, anything else we can easily drill or punch a hole through.
- Found materials to stitch with, including flexible wire, rope, twine, or other flexible linear material
Location: Contemporary Craft (5645 Butler St., Pittsburgh, PA 15201)
COVID-19: In accordance with current CDC guidance – we are recommending all visitors wear a mask. Please note that the recommendation applies to teaching artists, resident artists, students and guests attending events taking place at CC.
Visiting Artist Cancellations and Refunds: Workshop cancellations are decided one week before the start date. If workshops must be cancelled due to insufficient enrollment, the entire class fee will be refunded through Eventbrite, or you may leave your workshop fee in your Contemporary Craft account for future workshops.
Visiting Artist Refund Policy: Student refund requests must be made at 2 weeks before a class begins. There will be a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds will be given without 2 weeks notice.
If you require accessibility accommodations, please let us know by calling 412.261.7003 and we are happy to assist you.
About the Artist
Jennifer is a fiber artist, educator, and independent curator whose work explores the mutability of the natural world and humanity’s relationship with it. She received her BFA in Jewelry/Metals form Western Michigan University in 2007 and her MFA in Fibers from Savannah College of Art and Design in 2014.
Jennifer’s work has been exhibited throughout the United States and in Italy and has won numerous awards, including Best of Show at Fantastic Fibers in 2010, the 2011 London International Creative Competition Shortlist and the 2013 student Niche Award for decorative fiber. She has been published in 500 Felt Objects from Lark Books, Worldwide Colours of Felt from Textile-link and Dimensional Cloth from Schiffer Publishing. She has participated in residencies in Paducah, KY, Montgomery, AL and at Society for Contemporary Craft in Pittsburgh, PA.