The Artist-in-Residence program at Contemporary Craft will allow artists at any stage of their career free access to fully equipped studios, CC staff support, and the opportunity to interface with the public while creating a body of work. The residency will last between 1-6 months, depending on the mutual availability of the requested Studio and the resident artist interest. In exchange for the free usage of Contemporary Craft’s state of the art studio space as well as a monthly materials stipend, the artist in residence will be asked to be open to engaging with the public while working in the studio.
The ideal candidate will work in a craft medium that our studios can support, such as metalsmithing, jewelry, fibers, wood, encaustics, paper and book arts, or small ceramics. They would have experience in a studio setting with knowledge of safety procedures and best practices.
- Full access to studio space, equipment, and tools during all public hours
- Private storage for personal tools and equipment
- A $100 monthly materials stipend
- Opportunity to enter into a relationship with CC’s retail Store to sell work
- Free tuition for 1-2 Studio workshops based on length of the residency
- Opportunity to be a paid instructor in the Studio
The Artist-in-Residence is expected to:
- Be present in the Studio at least 1-2 days each week for the duration of the residency, during public hours
- Volunteer for public events and be available to visitors as possible
- Give an artist talk/presentation at culmination of the residency
- Attend a short weekly check-in with Studio staff
- Maintain overall Studio cleanliness
- Letter of intent
- Please provide a description of your current practice, the body of work you intend to complete while in residence, and why you would be a good fit for this opportunity at Contemporary Craft.
- Artist Statement
- Desired length of residence
- At least three images of your work
- Three references
- Please provide their contact information and their relation to you
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and kept on file for a period of two years from submission date
- Applicants will be notified of receipt of their application within two weeks from submission date.
Corey Drew, April 2021-July 2021
Taylor Fentz, October 2020-December 2020